(celebrity birthdays) We all know Aishwarya Rai (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) was crowned Miss World in 1994, is a wife to Abhishek Bachchan with whom she has a 2-year-old daughter, Aaradhya, with and has starred in a variety of Bollywood films. Now, check out the list of things you didn’t know about the new “Jazbaa” actress.
1. Rai was the face of L’Oreal Paris in 2002 and for Kalyan Jewellers in 2012
2. Rai was the Ambassador for UNAIDS in 2012 in the U.S. and internationally where she was named as the Goodwill Ambassador to raise awareness on issues related to stopping new HIV/AIDS infections in children. She advocated for increased access to antiretroviral treatment towards the elimination of new HIV infections among children and keeping their mothers alive.
3. The model was the brand ambassador for The Eye Bank Association in 2003 to raise awareness for organ donations and giving sight. She raised awareness of combating Corneal Blindness, which afflicts over 2 million young and old citizens all over India and visions can only be restored by the transplant of a human corneal tissue which has been received from another human being.
4. Rai was also an international Brand Ambassador for Pulse Polio in 2005 and Goodwill Ambassador for Smile Train in 2009.
5. Rai performed at the Help! Telethon Concert in 2005 around the UK, US and Internationally to raise funds for the 2004 tsunami earthquake.
6. The actress has 1 older brother, Aditya Rai, who is an engineer in the merchant navy. He also co-produced “Dil Ka Rishta” in 2003.
7. Not only does Rai have beauty, but brains too! From joining Jai Hind College for a year, she joined DG Ruparel College, securing 90 percent in the HSC exams.
8. Rai’s favorite subject in school was zoology.
9. Rai initially considered a career in medicine but was unsuccessful later on, then had plans to become an architect enrolling in Raheja College of Arts, but later gave up her education to pursue modeling.
10. Rai made her acting debut in the 1997 film, “Iruvar” and had her first Hindi film release in “Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya” the same year.